Paleo... So easy, Cavewomen did it
I might not have mentioned this yet, but I started eating Paleo at the first of the year. My friend, luckiemaounds (LM), is joining me. My BF, still will only do partial Paleo, but he is very supportive and awesome.
So what is Paleo? It's a way of eating that mimics the lifestyle of the Paleolithic people. Meat, vegetables, fruit, seeds, and nuts are the allowed items. Things that are not permitted: dairy, grains, legumes, sugar, and processed crap. Let me clarify a few of the not allowed items. For starters, peanuts are a legume not a nut. That rules out peanut butter. Potatoes, corn, lima beans, peas - all forbidden. Does this way of eating sound harsh? It's not - I promise.
Our background:
LM and I are both in our 30s. We have been seriously training for over a year now with a CrossFit-like system called FFIT and our trainer Kevin. We lift kettlebells, barbells, dumbbells. We slam sledgehammers and medicine balls. We nearly pass out and get stronger every time we step foot onto the mats. It's challenging and fun. And the results are obvious. But we both have goals beyond being in shape. LM wants to look more ripped and I'd like to lower my body fat %.
The plan:
As of today, LM and I have been eating like cavewomen for 2 weeks. I've heard horror stories about the first week - pimples, crabbiness, lethargy, cravings. We've had none of that. I think it's because we started weening ourselves off the no-nos instead of going cold-turkey (mmm, cold turkey) in the two weeks prior to starting. It wasn't easy with the holidays, but small changes made a lot of difference.
On day 3, LM states that she loves this way of eating. I was leery, she has a tendency to be sarcastic. But no, she really does. Me too.
What we've noticed so far:
LM- needs to eat more fruit. She doesn't like it, but she is having difficulty getting through the workouts. Otherwise, she's lost 9 pounds and learning to like fruit. I think.
Peachy- I love finding new recipes and tweaking them. Spaghetti (squash) is my favorite and works really well for lunches. The scale has only budged 1 pound, but I'm not really trying to lose weight, so that's ok. I felt bloated for a few days, but the scale didn't change. Overall, my clothes are much looser than before. I hope it's because I'm losing body fat!
Eating out:
I love to eat out. Granted, it's harder to control what the food is cooked in and the quality, but life goes on. There are places to go and things that will satisfy hunger by filling the belly.
Charleston's- mahi and steamed veggies, salad with lemon juice
US Egg - omelet with no cheese, ham, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, spinach
Rumbi's- steamed veggies with no sauce, mahi fish, salad no croutons
Hob Nob - Hob Nob Cob, no cheese, no dressing, add chicken, lemon juice and oil
Delux - burger in lettuce wrap with grilled onions, sweet potato fries
McDonald's - grilled chicken no bun
Chick-fil-a - grilled chicken no bun, fruit cup
The adventure continues, 'til another day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment