All salads should include raisins. There is an awesome Curry Chicken Salad salad at the Copper Star Coffee house on 7th Ave that I want to recreate. After searching recipes online, I've come to find out they all call for mayo. Ugh. Find a recipe for paleo mayo at the bottom of this post and this curry chicken salad recipe which is a close proximation to the real deal: (Oh, and in a hurry, canned chicken is going to be my go-to protein).
Curried Chicken Salad
- makes 2-3 servings -
Ingredients
2 chicken breasts, roasted
1 rib celery, finely diced
1 scallion, minced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons golden raisins
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 tablespoon honey
Salt and pepper
Procedure
1. Shred the chicken. The easiest way is to cut the roasted chicken breast into thirds, and then get to business with your fingers shredding the chunks apart. (If you don’t have any roasted meat, roast two chicken breasts with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper in a medium oven until done, about 30 minutes. Let cool before shredding.)
2. Mix everything together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
PALEO MAYO
1 large egg
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbl raw apple cider vinegar
1 cup light olive oil (I guess you can use extra virgin, but your mayo will probably be yellow/green and taste very olive-y)
Whiz everything but the oil in the food processor for 30 seconds. Then while the motor's still running start adding the oil - but BE CAREFUL. At first, only put it in 1-2 drops at a time. After you've got 10 drops in there, start pouring it in by the 1/2 teaspoon. Then by the tablespoon. And finally when you have a little less than 1/2 cup of the oil left, you can start just pouring it in in a thin stream. This made a thick creamy mayo that I was licking off of the food processor blades. I think I'm going to dip my leftover garlic-rosemary roasted chicken in it tonight. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment