Resolution for 2010.. maybe

I hate running. What better way to overcome that by making sure to do it frequently. OK, semi-frequently. I made a pack with myself that I would run one 5k every month in the year 2009. I started in December 2008 to test the waters. I HAVE done one every month. My time has improved, but my taste for running? Not so much! But I like that I'm completing them anyway. But running is boring, so I'm already looking to next year's challenge for myself.

I've been mulling it over, talking with my coach, and I we kinda came up with doing a named CrossFit WO every month and see if my time/score improves. But, OH! today I found "IT". I'm going to do the Spartan 300 workout every month! And here it is:

  • 25 pull-ups
  • 50 deadlifts at 135 pounds
  • 50 push-ups
  • 50 box jumps with a 24-inch box
  • 50 "floor wipers" (a core and shoulders exercise at 135 pounds)
  • 50 "clean and press" at 36 pounds (a weight-lifting exercise with a kettlebell)
  • 25 more pull-ups
All that is a total of 300 reps - hence the name (also used in as one of the workouts to train the guys in the 300 movie). Might have to scale the deadlifts and floor wipers to women's weight and MUST WORK ON PULL-UPS. I've got two dead-hangs that look nice and I can get about another 3 which are totally messy. That is all a far cry from 50 pull-ups in one workout.

I'm going to work hard on these two elements, really all of these. But as I did with the 5k resolution, I will allow myself to have fun and adapt and improve. So if I have to start out with assisted pull-ups and scale a few things - then so be it. If I complete the entire workout and only throw up twice or so and finish anyway, then if I cut the vomit sessions in half the next time - I'm improving. That's the key. It's all for me anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I did 30 floor wipers last Thursday with 35#s, 135#?! Uh, not yet!

    ReplyDelete