Friday morning in the desert and the air feels a bit nippy. Finally. We're on our way to the airport and we're both excited to begin our adventure. Family and friends are waiting for us in Florida. The plane ride is smooth – I love getting a chance to sit for hours next to my honey. My parents pick us up from the Tampa airport and we make the LONG and tedious journey to Orlando (I lost track of the number of accidents on the way); here my family will spend two nights with my Grandma Moses, while Jack takes off with his friend, Phil.
Jack's mini-adventure - the part I'm told ;-)
After dinner with the p'z, Phil takes Jack to meet his helicopter pilot buddies at a cigar bar. Sounds like trouble. A fake beer, a cigar, and some really great guys; I think Jack had fun. The next morning brought the real fun. Phil was kind enough to take Jack up in his helicopter. The video and pictures are amazing. I'm so jealous! It's on my Bucket List to learn to hover a helicopter and Jack DID it. But I have my invitation from Phil – I will be back to take him up on it!
Let the cruisin' begin.
Taking a cruise isn't always about the food. Don't be fooled, there are lots of yummy treats. But our trip to the Western Caribbean was about spending time together and finding adventure. It's hot and humid in Orlando. I miss the dry heat of the dessert. The group meets back up on Sunday and we make our way to the Tampa ports. There are lines, but they move quickly and things go smoothly – I'm impressed. We walk onto the ship and it's time to eat! It's a way of life on the ship – eat, eat, eat. This is my 3rd cruise; my parents and Jack are experiencing the cruise life for the first time. Jack started out with reservations – they haven't been swayed, yet. Bon Voyage!
The first day on the ship is spent eating, exploring the ship, eating, working out, eating, and attending show. It's relaxing. Whoa, we're a little rusty on the relaxing.
Tuesday & day two: Grand Cayman. We do the city tour and turtle ranch. Jack and I fell in love with the island. The people are nice and it's clean. We explored the turtle farm and went to Hell. Wish I would have had the for site to find CrossFit Cayman BEFORE we went. We won't soon forget this place.
Wednesday/Cozumel: Helmet diving. I've done this before but this was the others first time. It was just the four of us and it was a blast. Such personal attention. Being so close to the creatures of the water really expands your mind. Life on Mars? What about the life in the depths of the oceans? We snorkeled after the dive and whaled ourselves on a floating deck for a few minutes. This experience was so altering for Jack, that he even suggested we learn to scuba. I'm thrilled! Then we had the world's BEST fajitas and the beach-side restaurant. We shopped at the local store and I'm proud to say that I purchased a white turquoise and black onyx bracelet after successfully haggling to half the price!
Thursday/ Belize: Nope. Won't be going back. We did the Belize City tour and Al Tuhan Ruins. The Ruins were worth the trip, but I would never travel to the city of Belize again. It's a very poor, scary, dirty city.
Friday/ Roatan, Honduras
: The rolling hills on the island lend to a beautiful landscape. Our city guide wasn't the most pleasant person, but she failed to lesson our love with the area. We learned some interesting holistic approaches to ailments that the local foliage provides.
Saturday was another day at sea. The ship hauled at a maximum speed of 22 knots even with winds of 30mph. I think a person would need to be drink to walk straight. I loved the sway of the ship though. Working out was hilarious. Jack's jump roping and my burpees were a trial. You never knew where the floor would be under you. Sometimes the distance was long and you felt like floating and other times it was as you never left the ground. I didn't regain my balance until Monday night's workout with Kevin when my ears finally popped.
How'd Jack and my parents feel about the trip in the end? They all would do it again.
What's next? Jack and I are learning Spanish and how to scuba. I'm learning how to drive a stick. Best to always keep your skills honed.
Where to next? If on a cruise, we would really like to go to Alaska. Otherwise, anywhere is fine by me.












No comments:
Post a Comment